Monday, August 10, 2009

Summer under the stars…

I’ve been spending entirely too much time sitting in front of the ‘boob tube’ here lately. What’s sparked this recent streak of indolent, idle behavior, so unlike me you ask? That would be the Turner Classic Movie channel or TCM’s ‘Summer Under the Stars’ classic movie marathons. It doesn’t matter what I’m doing, or what I intend to do, give me one classic movie with a gaudy color scheme [i.e. Technicolor] and clichéd script lines and I’m not going to be good for much more than holding down a couch cushion or keeping my dog warm as he lays in my lap. I'll sit or lay there for the entire day watching movie after movie; I enjoy old movies so much. I don’t know what it is about them, but the movies from the “golden age” appeal so much to me. Cary Grant, Sophia Loren, Clark Gable, Audrey Hepburn, Bing Crosby, Bette Davis, and the list just goes on and on. Just last night I watched Houseboat with Sophia Loren and Cary Grant. I found of particular interest, the difference in the way children of today (i.e. Children of the Corn) are portrayed in movies, and the way the children were portrayed in Houseboat (i.e. polite, intelligent, sweet, and humorous). A great movie, just like pretty much everything else on TCM… If you haven’t already - tune in to TCM, catch a flick, and step back in time. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment