Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Graceland, needs a little saving grace.

Well I’ve officially seen the best that Memphis has to offer – Graceland. The very best word that can be used to describe Graceland is “lackluster.” With everything that comes with one of the biggest names in music; the man, the legend, the moves, the music, his home didn’t really match too well with the Elvis prodigy. Elvis was a star, no doubt, but to see the house he called home left much to the imagination and your senses overloaded. The house itself is/was nice in its day, however it’s not really in line with what you think of in celebrity residences today. It’s actually quite small; excluding the basement my parent’s house is just slightly smaller. However, my parents do have some taste when it comes to appointments and accoutrements, Elvis, however, did not - tacky is the best word that can be used to describe the interior of the house. Out of control, gold flaked sinks, shag carpet, a jungle room, African paint themes, hideous, all of it. While I don’t know if I could easily be convinced to return to the house again, I think that everyone should at least see it once. My Dad loves Elvis, and he thoroughly enjoyed the house, as did I, I just think that Graceland doesn’t really fit the legend that was/is Elvis Presley. The food, specifically BBQ, or as it’s known in Memphis “Q” was out of this world, absolutely delicious. One last point, people who know me, know I speak my mind, so let me make this comparison, Memphis is to Tennessee what South Dallas is to Texas. Take that comment as you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment