Sunday, April 25, 2010

Aldi, shammaldi!

So I fell for it. I’ve been seeing all these commercials for this new Swedish grocery store chain, Aldi. They supposedly have good quality food at very low prices. And while, I’m not poor, I’m not made of money either. Well let me tell you it was traumatic from the second I set foot on their parking lot. Before entering the store I went to retrieve what I am convinced was a shopping cart the size of a 1960 Plymouth. BUT, before I was able to drive it into the store I had to deposit a quarter to use the cart. STRIKE ONE.

Aldi only sells their brand of food, no modern day mainstream brands. No Heinz ketchup, no Cheetos brand chips, no Kraft cheese, and no Coca Cola Classic. Instead its Aldi brand everything. STRIKE TWO.

I was brave and bought some chips, sandwich meat, and bread + a couple of other items. So far the bread is the only thing that hasn’t tasted like shiz. I threw the sandwich meat away as it had a golden/yellowish hue. While checking out I had to pay for the shopping bags that I used to take my groceries home in. $0.06 for paper and $.10 for plastic. STRIKE THREE.

Oh, and they don’t accept credit cards, cash and debit only. STRIKE FOUR

Let me just say that this, though my grocery bill was only 36 dollars for the week, only 8% was edible - I WILL NOT BE BACK.

1 comment: