Sunday, February 26, 2012

Mash the gas, gas pump

Am I the only one who thinks that gas pumps today have gotten ridiculously slow?  I’m not talking about the actual pumping mechanism itself, but rather the ‘pay at the pump’ computer/credit card reader feature.  I would say this is about, oh, my 10,000th time to use a gas pump in my life; but, why are they so freaking slow?!?!  When you insert your credit card it takes forever for the screen to update…  “Select Credit or Debit,” Beep, Beep, (30 seconds) “Enter your billing zip code,” Beep, Beep, (30 seconds) “Would you like a receipt?” Beep, Beep, (30 seconds) “No.”  

It seems like I spend an eternity standing at the pump just waiting to enter my zip code, (Sidebar: 9 times out of 10, the stupid keypad hasn’t been maintained and one numeric key isn’t working – and, just-my-luck, it happens to be one of the five digits I need to enter for my specific zip code, or sometimes, I finally get the malfunctioning key to work only for it to be pressed two times rapidly thereby inputting the incorrect zip code) or to say, no, I do not want a receipt!  I mean, people can pay their bills and order pizza on their smartphones – is it too much to ask for a gas pump that doesn’t age me every time I refuel?  Sometimes I think it would take less time for Barney Fife himself to come out and fill me up, wash my windshield and sell me a Coke for a nickel than it does to get gas in 2012!  

No comments:

Post a Comment